On May 10th we arrived at the Delaware City Marina on the Delaware Bay which is at the far end of the Chesapeake and Delaware Canal. Our next stop was Cape May, NJ which is a 45 mile run down the Delaware Bay. Now the Bay is notorious for bad conditions and must be run only when the winds are in the boater’s favor. As it happened, the next day, May 11th, found us with a stiff breeze at our stern and favorable outgoing currents. After about two hours of steaming, the current changed to outgoing and, between the winds and the current, we traveled at 11.5 MPH rather than our normal 8 MPH at 1,650 RPM engine speed. Plus, it was a beautiful, cloudless, warm day. We stayed out of the main channel to give the freighters and tankers a wide berth.
Now, the run up to Atlantic City must be done on the open ocean as the Intracoastal Waterway is too shallow for our boat. The ocean run is not recommended for pleasure craft when there is an east wind. An east wind causes larger waves which are always on the beam. Big waves on the beam means lots of rolling. Anyway, the forecast was for a south wind, a pusher wind, and moderate waves. Well, the forecast was not a good one. We, and several other boats that left Cape May on the morning of May 12th, got beat up for six hours but, fortunately, no one aboard became seasick although we were unable to safely go below. It was chilly and windy on the flybridge until we entered Abescon Inlet at Atlantic City. We tied up for two nights at the Golden Nugget Casino Marina. As for the casino, even though John enjoys casino gambling, none was done.
Since Sunday was a rain day, John and Jerry took the opportunity to do some maintenance. Since leaving Galesville on the 8th, the port engine would occasionally drop 250 RPM and then return to speed after about 10 seconds. This malady is usually indicative of a fuel supply problem and is often related to needing a filter change. However, the filters are fresh and an inspection revealed a fuel supply hose on the suction side that showed signs of collapsing. We changed the line to more sturdy 3/8 line from 5/16. Hopefully, this was the problem.
Tomorrow, we leave using the Intracoastal Waterway which, north of Atlantic City, generally is deeper and more navigable for a bigger boat. We’ll see. If we go aground, we’ll call a tow truck. We’ll be stopping at Beach Haven which is only about 25 miles. The next day we’ll travel to Manasquan. Then it’s outside again to Staten Island.